Photo credit: CNN
US President Donald Trump rejected extending the US-Iran ceasefire framework, called for Iran’s surrender and threatened to bomb Oman, while his stance on the war and negotiations continued to shift between claims of an imminent peace deal, rejection of talks and assertions that he was in no rush to end the conflict.
The latest statements came as the 60-day period linked to a June memorandum between Washington and Tehran expired without a final agreement, Helsinki Times reported.
They also came hours before a commercial vessel was hit by an unknown projectile while leaving the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Monday that Iran would not accept the agreement he considered necessary.
“They’re not going to make the kind of a deal that I feel is necessary,” Trump said. “Look, we’re in there for one reason: Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon.”
Asked whether Washington wanted to extend the interim arrangement, Trump answered: “No.”
Earlier the same day, Trump told Fox News that Iran should “put up the white flag of surrender”. He also said he had no timetable for ending the war.
“I have no time schedule,” he said. “I’m not in a hurry.”
Those remarks add to a series of conflicting public positions from the US president during the war against Iran. Trump has repeatedly spoken about an approaching settlement while also declaring previous arrangements finished, demanding surrender and raising the prospect of further military action.
The June memorandum declared an “immediate and permanent termination of military operations on all fronts”. It also committed Washington and Tehran to negotiations on a final agreement, including Iran’s nuclear programme.
Trump declared the arrangement “over” on 7 July, weeks before the 60-day period ended. Iran’s Foreign Ministry then described the memorandum as suspended.
On Monday, Trump treated the expiry of the negotiation period as further evidence that Iran would not accept his terms while rejecting an extension of the process.
Iran disputes the US interpretation.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said the 60-day provision concerned negotiations rather than an automatic deadline for the memorandum itself. He said talks never began because Washington had already violated the agreement.
“We did not start any negotiations at all, and the US violated the understanding from the very beginning. Therefore, the 60-day issue is not relevant,” Baghaei said, according to Iran’s Mehr News Agency.
“Iran is not a party that adjusts its policies under pressure and deadlines,” he said.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi also accused Israel of trying to prevent an agreement between Tehran and Washington. Al Jazeera reported that according to Iran’s IRNA news agency, Araghchi said Israel had worked against the memorandum from the start.
“The Zionist regime was and remains the biggest opponent and obstacle to the implementation of the memorandum of understanding,” he said.
Araghchi also rejected Trump’s demand for surrender and presented the ceasefire negotiations as evidence that Washington had failed to force Iran to accept US terms.
Trump has continued to state that the central US objective is to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon. At the same time, his public demands have expanded to include the control and reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, an issue that has become central to the military and economic confrontation.
On Friday, Trump said he would declare the Strait of Hormuz US territory. He later claimed Washington controlled the waterway through its blockade.
The strait lies between Iran and Oman and served as a route for about 20 per cent of global oil and liquefied natural gas supplies before the US-Israeli attacks on Iran began in late February.
Iran and Oman have held separate talks over a mechanism for commercial shipping through the strait. Tehran says the talks concern the sovereign rights of both coastal states and the passage of civilian vessels.
Trump responded to those negotiations with a threat against Oman, one of Washington’s security partners in the Gulf.
“If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the shit out of them,” Trump told Fox News on Monday.
The threat drew a response from Democrats in Congress.
Axios reported that Democratic lawmakers plan to introduce war powers resolutions aimed at limiting Trump’s authority after his remarks about Oman.
Senator Tim Kaine said he would introduce a resolution when Congress returns in September.
Kaine said the United States has “a strong diplomatic relationship and a free trade agreement” with Oman and accused Trump of damaging US interests.
Representative Ro Khanna also criticised the president’s threats.
“At this point we may just need to file war powers resolutions for the 192 other countries,” Khanna told Axios.
Trump’s statements also conflict with earlier claims that a durable settlement was approaching.
He has said on several occasions during the conflict that the war would end soon. A final peace agreement has not followed.
On Monday, he rejected an extension of the existing framework while saying he had no deadline and was not in a hurry.
Reuters reported that an Iranian official said Tehran would move to a “fully offensive” military posture if the ceasefire process failed.
Nourenews reported that an Iranian military official warned shipping companies against supporting US military operations. The official said Tehran would treat transport of fuel, ammunition, equipment, food and other supplies for US forces as support for Washington’s war effort.
On Tuesday, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations agency said a vessel conducting an outbound transit of the Strait of Hormuz had been struck by an unknown projectile.
“The Company Security Officer has reported that the vessel was struck by an unknown projectile while conducting an outbound transit of the Strait of Hormuz,” UKMTO said.
“The impact caused damage to the engine room and resulted in a crew casualty.”
UKMTO said the remaining crew received assistance from the Omani coastguard. The agency reported no environmental damage and said authorities were investigating the incident.
Share on social media