Iran Rejects New US Sanctions, Land Blockade Plan

Ronald Zak / AP file

Iran Rejects New US Sanctions, Land Blockade Plan
  • 17 Aug, 15:50
  • Iran

Iran has rejected proposed new US sanctions and reports of a planned land blockade, insisting that additional pressure from Washington will not alter Tehran’s position.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Monday that the measures being considered by the United States would have no impact on Iran’s policies as tensions between the two countries continue, Al Jazeera reported.

“These measures have no effect on Iran’s position,” Baghaei told reporters.

His comments came as Washington considers additional ways to increase economic pressure on Tehran. The United States has already imposed extensive sanctions and is examining further measures, including a possible land blockade involving Iran’s neighbours.

Baghaei accused Washington of being trapped in what he described as a “vicious cycle of war, discrimination, pressure and sanctions” dating back to the 1953 coup in Iran.

He argued that previous US pressure campaigns had failed to force Tehran to change course.

According to Baghaei, Iran endured what he called “crippling sanctions” under Democratic administrations as well as the “maximum pressure” campaign during US President Donald Trump’s first term.

“They cut off medicines for our people and tried every possible means of putting pressure on Iran,” he said, accusing Washington of ultimately resorting to what he called “illegal military aggression.”

Baghaei said Iran would not expect a different outcome from renewed sanctions.

“Methods that have been tried before and produced no results are not going to produce a different outcome,” he said.

The latest dispute comes as the US-Iran confrontation remains centred on economic pressure, military measures and the future of the Strait of Hormuz.

Washington has said it can maintain its naval blockade of Iran indefinitely and has signalled that further sanctions could follow.

Tehran, meanwhile, has maintained that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the United States ends its naval blockade, adding another major obstacle to efforts to reach a broader agreement.

Baghaei also said Monday that a previously discussed 60-day period for talks had effectively lost its relevance after what Iran described as US violations of a June memorandum of understanding.

With Washington weighing additional economic measures and Tehran insisting that sanctions will not alter its position, the latest exchange signals that the standoff between the two sides remains far from resolution.

Related news

Iran Rejects New US Sanctions, Land Blockade Plan

Iran has rejected proposed new US sanctions and reports of a planned land blockade, insisting that additional pressure from Washington will not alter Tehran’s position.